Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Using cabs...

I drive everywhere here in Texas, never have use for cabs. From the airport to the hotel, is it enough to say the hotel name or do you tell them The Sofitel on 44th Street? or the complete address, 45 West 44th Street? Thank you



Using cabs...


It is always best to give the name of the place, the address, and the cross streets if you know them, such as ';the Brooks Brothers store, 666 Fifth Avenue, between 53rd and 52nd Street.'; If you do not know the cross streets, just say the name of the place and the address. It is rarely enough to say the name of the hotel, or the restaurant, or the theater, although once in a while you will find a cabbie who speaks fairly good English and who knows the city relatively well, and who will not need the address of something fairly well known (such as Penn Station.)





I realize the need to take a cab from the airport, but I do hope you plan on using the subway whenever possible during your stay - faster, cheaper, and much safer than a cab...



Using cabs...


Cabbies don%26#39;t want the address of where you%26#39;re going, they want a street (44th)and cross street(s) (between 5th %26amp; 6th).




Nywhiz, I agree, and that is how I would do it myself -- but for those who are visiting and only know a place from the address in the telephone book or on the website, the address is the next best thing to actual cross streets. In any case, the point was that one should not just say ';Cafe Gotham'; or ';the Old Merchant%26#39;s House Museum'; and expect the cabbie to know where it is just from the name.




Since the question has come up though, I think it%26#39;s worth explaining to people that the cab drivers are not as knowledgeable as you would expect. Therefore, it%26#39;s a good idea to KNOW the street and cross streets of your destination. For example, on your hotel, if it doesn%26#39;t say on the website what the cross streets are, look on a map so you know. If you%26#39;re looking up restaurants on menupages, they tell you what the cross streets are at the bottom of the listing. The Zagat guide also gives cross streets.





So, if I were going to the Sofitel, I would tell the cab driver 44th between 5th %26amp; 6th. When we got to the st. or near it, I%26#39;d say I%26#39;m going to the Sofitel, or it%26#39;s number 45.





At times, if a street is going in the wrong direction, the driver might ask ';do you want me to go around the block?'; (For example, from JFK, 44th st. goes the wrong way). If I had a lot of luggage, I%26#39;d say please drop me in front. If not, I%26#39;d say no, I can get out at 5th. Just a heads up.




As I got in a cab where the driver didn%26#39;t know how to get to Battery Park, I would go prepared with your own map ready to direct him if necessary.




Should have added



';From outside Macy%26#39;s';




lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment