Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Transfer from JFK to Murray Hill and another dilemma

Point taken - best for me is the least hassle (never been to New York before) and, if possible, the best value for money. Thanks.





I now have another dilemma - I have booked a 3 star hotel in Murray Hill (a v good deal with Expedia) - now I have read that other travellers who have booked similar discounted rooms have had disappointing experiences - have I done the right thing or should I cancel and spend more on a 3/4 star hotel bearing in mind that I want this trip to be a memorable one for the right reasons!



Thanks.



Transfer from JFK to Murray Hill and another dilemma


If you are more than one person and have luggage, take a taxi. Cost is $45 fixed rate to Manhattan, plus $4,50 toll plus tip.





What is the name of the hotel you booked?



Transfer from JFK to Murray Hill and another dilemma


Hi





I have just arrived back from New York - will be posting a trip report in the next couple of days.



Just to say another method re transfering from JFK to Murray Hill is prebooking the Super Shuttle via Expedia which is good value. This is what I used to get to my hotel in Murray Hill area.





I wait to here which hotel you are booked in - Murray Hill area is a nice area I found.




Hi





I have just arrived back from New York - will be posting a trip report in the next couple of days.



Just to say another method re transfering from JFK to Murray Hill is prebooking the Super Shuttle via Expedia which is good value. This is what I used to get to my hotel in Murray Hill area.





I wait to here which hotel you are booked in - Murray Hill area is a nice area I found.




I have just spent a week in the Murray Hill district, a the Jolly Hotel. The area is fabulous. It is just off Madison Ave and is quiet yet just a couple of blocks from Fifth Avenue.





As for travelling from JFK to our hotel, we got a yellow cab from the airport (the only way to see the big apple for the first time imo.



For our travel back to JFK we got the hotel car. It turned out to be a limo and the charge was only $65, inclusive of toll and tip.





I know you will have an amazing time and you are so lucky to be preparing for your trip. I am still coming back to earth after ours.




The easiest way is to use the taxi as it is a fixed price to manhattan.However what ever you do do not talk to anyone who offers you a taxi before you get to the yellow cab stand.This will be for an unofficial taxi and they will rip you off.



As to the hotel it always depends.Obviously the cheaper the rate the less chance of a great room but especially if not very busy you can be lucky.If you give our new york friends the name of your hotel they will be able to give you better advice.




Polodriver - To add info or reply, click on the ';reply'; button, not the ';post a new topic'; button.




It is impossible for us to advise you without knowing some details like which hotel, the price/night you%26#39;ve paid, what the bad reviews are, when you%26#39;re coming (to have an idea of what else will be available at what price) how much more you%26#39;re prepared to pay and whether you%26#39;d have to pay a cancellation fee and/or stay with Expedia.





As to the best way to/from JFK, a taxi will cost $60 when you include toll and tip and you get door to door service. You can take a bus to Grand Central Station which is in the Murray Hill area for $15/person or $27 return but from there you either have to walk, pay a bit extra for a small bus connection or take a taxi. There are coach services (Super Shuttle) that will take you directly to your hotel but it takes forever if you%26#39;re not the first drop off. Whatever you do, DON%26#39;T use this service for the return (Super Shuttle) as they%26#39;re infamous for not showing up.




Thanks all for your advice so far...







The hotel I have booked in mid February is the Shelburne Murray Hill. Three reasons : -Murray Hill sounds an ideal area for us; I have got a good deal (less than GBP100 per night) and we have a studio suite which hopefully means we can do some self-catering. The only thing concerning me is that it is too good a deal - ie that the suite may not come up to expectation (ie the on -line photos of the room.) Somewhere (and it may not even have been on this site)I have read that travellers who booked hotel rooms through Expedia at a discounted rate were given not so good rooms and because they had booked through Expedia, could do nothing about it once at the hotel. If all the rooms at the Shelburne are of the same standard, then I am worrying for no reason and I will be delighted!




I think I did read that as well but not sure it was the Shelburne. Maybe one of the other Affinia hotels? I think there are some regular rooms there that may not be ';suites.'; Perhaps you should email the hotel and ask the question? Be honest.




Thanks for that advice - will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment