Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Most straightforward way to get from Newark airport to...

Hi!



First time poster, and first time traveller to the USA. I will be staying close to Penn station, and will be flying in to Newark airport. What is the simplest and most priceworthy way for 3 adults to get into town?



From my own research I see that a buss is about a third of the cost of a taxi, and takes twice as long, would that be about right?



Do I need to book a taxi in advance or can I hail a cab there? If I book will they be standing somewhere with a sign? Is there anything I need to think about otherwise?



Any and all advice for a first time traveller is gladly received, especially on getting to and from Newark!



Most straightforward way to get from Newark airport to...


Take the train into Penn Station. See this link:





airtrainnewark.com/airtrainnewark/index.html



Most straightforward way to get from Newark airport to...


Took me a little while to make sense of the websites, but that seems like a very good alternative. Can I check that it is an NYTransit ticket I would need to buy once I have used the AirTrain to get to the EWR rail-station? I can get NYT or Amtrak, but Amtrak seems to be out-of-town trips?





Am I right in thinking I can take a train straight to Penn or do I need to transfer in some manner?




And I guess I must still be missunderstanding as looking at fares on the njtransit site tells me it would be 14 dollars per person one way, in other words about the same price as a cab for 3 people?




The taxi should be $45 + tolls (NJ Turnpike %26amp; Lincoln Tunnel) + tip + $5 (only weekends or certain times on weekdays) = $60 or $65



www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrtaxizones.htm





The NJ Transit train fare is $14/person one-way.



Amtrak is $28/person one-way.





The Olympia Trails bus is $22/person round-trip or $13/person one-way.



http://www.coachusa.com/ss.airport.asp







I%26#39;d pick the bus unless you knew for sure that there was major traffic congestion at the Lincoln Tunnel in which case I%26#39;d take the train. But you have no way of knowing this when you arrive.




Oh, with the train you take the monorail aka Airtrain to the train station. Depending which NJ Transit train you get on, it will be either 1 or 2 more stops before you get to NYC Penn Station. No changing of trains required.




The absolutely easiest way to get to Penn Station is the Olympia Trails bus. I%26#39;ve arrived and departed at all different hours and used the bus numerous times without delays or problems. Do a search here on Olympia and read all about it.





I took the Airtrain, etc. last year and it was a lot more complicated. If you have a lot of luggage, definitely choose the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment