Tuesday, December 13, 2011

21 Club Pre-Theater Dinner

We have been to NYC numerous times and are going again Feb 11th to see Wicked.





Has anyone eaten at the 21 Club? I saw it on the Apprentice and they have a reasonable pre-theater dinner menu , but if anyof you have a better suggestion or recommend the 21 Club, then I will make my reservations.





Thanks!



21 Club Pre-Theater Dinner


I haven%26#39;t been there in years, but I think it is a bit stuffy. Neat decor, old-boys-club, wood, pipes, books, etc. but the food was good, not fabulous. Don%26#39;t know your ages or tates, though.





Have you tried looking at reviews here (both in this forum and on the restaurants link) and on these websites?:





www.menupages.com





www.newyork.citysearch.com



21 Club Pre-Theater Dinner


Hmmm...maybe they improved or maybe I didn%26#39;t appreciate it? All these reviews on Citysearch are very postitive - to raving!





http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7143799




21 Club is actually pretty good. I would love to know how the pre-theater prix fixe is.




A friend took me out to 21 to celebrate my birthday a few months ago and we had a great time. It%26#39;s almost like a theme park version of John Cheever%26#39;s world -- with the men all in blue blazers and khakis and the women in understated designer elegance. The feel is like a Greenwich or Grosse Pointe country club. It may well be the most Republican place in Manhattan, lol. While I was waiting for my friend to arrive, I was sitting in the welcoming area and heard a middle-aged man pontificating about how what religion you belong to dictates what kind of art you like and, thus, what museums you donate to.





The food is actually very good, as long as you stay away from their ';famous'; ckicken hash, whicch seems lathered in Velveeta. I hate a great kabob of game meats. Terrific cocktails, too.




PontMarie has summed up the clientele beautifully. I%26#39;ve not tried the pre-theater menu, but we had a wonderful dinner there during our last visit to New York.





The ambience and service were flawless, but we were bemused by the toy aeroplanes, lorries and sporting equipment hanging from the ceiling. We thought it a bit like a theme pub - but our waiter explained all the items were gifts from the captains of industry who frequent the place - apparently Howard Hughes was one of the first to bring in a model of one of his planes, and the rest of corporate America seem to have followed suit since.





The other thing we found a little strange was the way they seated us side by side at the table on a semi-circular banquette, so we were looking out on the restaurant. Usually we prefer to sit opposite one another, but I must admit it was great for people watching. We didn%26#39;t spot any celebrities, but apparently Laura Bush had been in earlier that day.




We have had the price-fixe lunch and it was wonderful. I am sorry we didn%26#39;t go there the last time in NYC. 21%26#39;s prices are reasonable. We ate a pre-theatre dinner at the Four seasons, and it was good ($65), however, at twice the price of 21 Club, I wish we had gone to 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment